Saturday, September 19, 2009

Celery and Walnut soup



Pretty obvious combination really - celery and walnuts and it does make a lovely mild and creamy soup. Some grated cheddar would be lovely on top but on the way to the cheese I found a jar of ploughmans pickle and so . . .

- Peel and chop half an onion and a clove of garlic and pop in a saucepan with three or four chopped celery sticks and leave to cook slowly in a little olive oil for ten minutes or so
- Add half a potato and then pour over a pint of vegetable stock.
-leave to simmer gently until the potatoes are soft, another ten minutes I should think.
- Shell and crush a few walnuts I used four, and leave to soak in a bowl covered with some of the stock.
- Once the soup is cooked, pour it into a blender, add in the softened walnuts and blend it all smoothish.
- Return to the now washed saucepan, reheat and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

SWEET MARY said...

Looks nice Peter - now I wonder how you got that Branston pickle to float on the top ...

Jacqueline said...

Mmmmmm, lovely! (although I will skip the pickle, I think)

Jodi said...

Lovely combination. Obvious now that you mention it, but I don't know that I would have paired these two up in a soup without the suggestion. Yum.

zerrin said...

You have a wonderful collection of soups here. I love to try different soups, so thank you for all these unique recipes. I love the flavor of celery in soup, but never combined it with walnuts. Great idea!

Peter said...

@Jodi,@jacqueline - my thoughts exactly, sometimes an idea is just there and I do not see it. Some do not work of course - looking back I don't think I'll try the pickle again ;-?

and Keriann - lets just say it did not actually float and needed some help!

peter

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Silvia Jacinto said...


I really love your blog there's a lot to share. Keep it up.Visit my site too.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Related Posts with Thumbnails