Monday, July 20, 2009

Leek and Oatmeal soup



A simple restorative soup for when you are all bunged up with flu and feeling miserable.


Like me.



Fry a chopped leek slowly in some butter and olive oil until soft, translucent and faintly golden brown, ten minutes at least. Add in a good handfull of rolled oats, stir about a bit and leave to cook for a few minutes. Pour in a pint and a quarter of vegetable stock and simmer gently until the oats are cooked but still have some bite, mine took a bit over half an hour. Season and serve.


I had mine with croutons and a handfull of chopped parsley.


Now you may notice that I have posted this recipe before but Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa's Kitchen has a monthly event - "No Croutons required" and seeing as this is one of my favourite soups, and one of my favourite photos, and seeing as I am bunged up with the flu again . . . well I thought I would enter this one.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for this lovely entry. Get well soon!

Alisa said...

What great blog! I followed you from the foodieblogroll. Im sorry to hear that you're sick, i hope you get better soon. I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Alex said...

Thanks for your comment Peter! Hope you get well soon and the soup does the trick!

Abby said...

Ugh. I'm sick, too, with a summer cold - which I truly think is the worst kind. I'll have to look into this soup! I need all the restoring I can get.

sangeeta said...

me down with flu right now...trying this with a lot of black peppercorns crushed over it...

Peter said...

Black peppercorns should do the trick Sangeeta, hope you get better soon . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails